Switch to Sponsored Training

Home Forum Ask The Experts Switch to Sponsored Training

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  admin 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Glad there is a new place on the web to get honest answers, I also enjoy the videos and the truth that is brought out. OK on to my topic. I recently completed 2 of 4 weeks in a CDL school and I have about 6 months of commercial driving experience from a company when I drove 10 years ago. Family medical issues of sprung up and I am unable to complete the schooling to do not having the finances to make my last payment. So here comes the big question on company sponsored training, which companies in an experts eyes are the tops in the industry? I am really looking for the tops in training and setting up for the future. Any an all words of wisdom are greatly appreciated.

My opinion, for what it’s worth is the following:
    I think Roehl, Prime Inc, Millis, and Maverick probably have the most comprehensive CDL training in the industry. But their training is mostly about getting your CDL, not everything you need to know to drive OTR for the next year. I say OTR (Over-The-Road) because the companies that offer company sponsored CDL training for students generally face the biggest shortage of drivers in OTR. Although in the last year or so I’m seeing more people moving from no CDL to working locally as a CDL truck driver than I had expected. The vast majority of the day to day details of getting from customer to customer and doing the countless tasks that we call trucking will be learned with your trainer after you get your CDL. Some companies put you with a trainer, after your CDL, from 2 weeks to 2 months. THAT’S the REAL CDL SCHOOL.

I believe Roehl has dry van, flatbed. I know Prime has tanker, flatbed, and reefer trailers, Millis I think also has dry van and reefer, IIRC. Maverick is mostly flatbed with some reefer, they call it temperature controlled division (TCD). From what I have heard and seen Prime probably takes the longest time to go from student to solo CDL driver. They also are the biggest of the companies listed above so their training system has a lot of experience teaching all types of drivers. The companies listed above DO NOT hire most people that apply. They are somewhat selective. I’ve frequently heard Maverick Transportation only hires about 25% of the qualified applicants that want to work there.

I’m not making a judgement about your situation starting CDL school but not finishing. I don’t know if that will be seen as a black mark to the companies I’ve mentioned.

Please search YouTube. I know one of the better trucking channels on YT is that of Dale Clay a driver for Maverick Transportation. There are numerous Prime drivers, including trainers, on YouTube documenting what you need to know.

Good luck, happy hunting.

kllm.com and primeinc.com would be who i would look at. primeinc.com has all types of driving (dry van, reefer, flat bed, tanker) and kllm.com has reefer and I did see a truck pulling a flat bed last month, so they may be adding options but i KNOW they do reefer as a main type of freight.
    alter course, and keep moving forward.
    good luck and keep us posted on your success

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.