Living in the truck

Home Forum Ask The Experts Living in the truck

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  admin 10 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 7 total)
  • Author

My goal is to live out of a truck to save some cash. Does anybody know if you can idle the truck during home time for comfort? Also, are you allowed to come and go as you please at the terminals during this time?
    Just trying to think of ways to save on hotels and other expenses.

our company allows the tripac to run whenever you are in the truck while its turned off, whether a 34 hour reset or a 10 hour reset. every company has a different policy, so make sure to ask. we have drivers who live out of their truck and stack cash. it can be done if you are with the right company.
    thanks for being here

If you plan on living in the truck you want companies that have power inverters, that provide 120v AC power, and APUs or EPU, that allow you to have heat/air cond. & electrical power without running the truck engine.

You don’t have to take time off at company terminals. You can, they usually have showers & bathrooms, sometimes laundry & lounge. It’s typical for OTR companies to allow you 1 day off for each 7 days out. You can “bank” your days off to have consecutive days off. Some allow you to designate “home time” wherever you decide. You say “I will need my home time on June 4 in alas Vegas, or wherever you might run, and that’s your time off. You will just need a secure parking spot for truck. This can be a hotel that allows truck parking or some other place you find. Believe me you will want time outside of the truck for your sanity. The company policies vary.

Also, I always hear that the longer you stay out the more money you can make. If I manage to run similar miles what are the differences if I say out 1 week, 2 weeks, or a month at a time? Is it because I’ll be in a better position for dispatch to give me the better loads or is it simply a matter of saving time?
    Like RVT says I’ll be a puppy in tall grass. Thanks for your input.

Staying out just gives you more days to drive, drive more miles. The companies I’ve worked for almost always got me hone on the weekend (late Friday night or early Saturday morning) and I would usually leave Sunday to be somewhere far away At 6-7am Monday morning. “Staying out” for companies like that may allow you to break out of their rut. My companies had most freight coming/going from Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin, etc. Staying out allowed me to go to different places including Los Angeles, Oakland, Sacramento, San Diego. Most companies are paying company drivers by the mile so staying out generates more miles and pay. I don’t know how much more. It depends. Weekend driving is usually less hectic and the truck stops have more room to park than during the week. You often can run at a more comfortable pace and make your Monday AM delivery. YMMV.

`Scott Hanson is spot on. I especially agree….you WILL need time out of that truck for your sanity! It sounds great to just stay out and bank cash. And, hey, if u can do it, more power to ya!

Everyone is different. For me, two weeks was my max! I would find a motel (usually a motel 8) because they were inexpensive, clean rooms and most all of them have truck parking. When it was time to reset, I would always try to get to a city where I could attend a baseball game (it’s just my thing) lol.

The feeling of getting away from “the trucking world”, going to a ball game, enjoying a couple hot dogs and a couple beers (which btw, I’m not advocating) lol, recharged my batteries and kept giving me something to look forward to.

This job is hard and stressful enough, you have to take time for yourself or you will burn out.

Good luck in your journey!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.