Expert Diesel Mechanic

Home Forum Ask The Experts Expert Diesel Mechanic

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Tommy 1 year ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Ask our resident CDL 18 wheel big rig certified diesel mechanic experts whatever questions you have about types of trucks, know issues with certain makes and models, maintenance tips and all other questions you can think of about any of your mechanical and service related big rig questions.

Our resident 18 wheel big rig mechanical experts are extremely seasoned and very well vetted regarding their knowledge of the service and maintenance side of the CDL business

Please refrain from recruiting and keep all conversations respectable

what types of trucks should i steer clear of, in your opinion, when i decide to go the owner operator route?
    any input would be appreciated

Tommy, your question is one of the top questions that are floating around in the interweb. In my opinion, since I have been doing this full time, DEF is one of the worst things that happened to owner operators with not so deep pockets. Since it’s inception in 2010, we as a company have seen millions of dollars go out when it comes to exhaust repairs. If I were to buy a tractor, I would probably look into a glider kit the most. If your not sure what a glider is, they are brand new trucks, less engine and transmission, and you put your choice of both in. You get a 2017 tractor, but with no emissions because the USDOT recognizes emission year from the engine, not the tractor.

As far as manufacturer, between Freightliner, Volvo, International, Peterbilt, etc. I would say they all have their pros and cons. Most of the recent decisions made by owner operators is creature comforts and recently driven decisions. I can get into repair costs by manufacturer if you’d like.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to post them and I will do my best to answer, or do some digging to find out.

I listened to your interview, and you also mentioned the coming shut down on glider kit trucks. does that mean they will be completely illegal, or just ‘grandfathered’ in if you own one, but none can be sold?
    I’ve been talking to a current glider kit owner, and even he doesn’t really know it seems.
    thanks for your expertise

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.