DOT Physical and mental health?

Home Forum Ask The Experts DOT Physical and mental health?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  admin 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

A few years ago I sought treatment for depression from a psychiatrist. I was prescribed various antidepressants over the course of approximately 1 year. My last appointment was cancelled by the doctor and I never rescheduled as I decided the treatment was not helpful. It has been almost 3 years since my last visit.

In my research into obtaining a commercial driver’s license I find very little concise information about the role a person’s mental health status plays in one’s ability to obtain and renew a cdl. It seems most information centers on high blood pressure, diabetes, and felony convictions.

Most concerning to me is that I wouldn’t be able to pass a DOT physical to even get into trucking or that if I needed psychiatric medication therapy after obtaining a cdl it would invalidate my medical card and lead to income loss.

Any insight into this topic will be greatly appreciated!

I just completed my second DOT physical and I don’t see where you would have any issues unless you have high blood pressure or diabetes which should be ok as long as its being treated. I have borderline high blood pressure and instead of getting a 2 year card they set mine to be renewed after 1 year. They won’t be doing a medical background on you so what they know is what you tell them. I’m not sure if you were saying that you have a felony or that’s just information they are asking but unfortunately I had a stupid decision that ended up with me having a felony and it hasn’t stopped me from getting a CDL but it has and will limit the companies that will hire you. I guess the biggest question that you should ask yourself is if you are medically and mentally fit for a truck driving job? Its a big responsibility not only for your safety but everyone around you. Hope this helps and good luck!

Here is a page from the official website of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), they are the IRS of trucking. They hake the rules and enforce them

At the link below in the middle pf the page the very first link is to a PDF of the official DOT Medical Form. It will show you all the questions you will be asked.

The doctor will only know what you tell him/her. I’m not suggesting you hide anything. I am STRONGLY SUGGESTING you don’t talk to the DOT doctor like he’s your drinking buddy and you are shooting the breeze. In my opinion the DOT doctor is there to verify you are healthy enough to drive or deny you a medical card. He’s not your personal doctor, he’s not your best friend. Ask a personal doctor if you have questions. The DOT doctors are not especially well-trained on transportation matters, they are simply practiced at doing the DOT exam. Your DOT appointment, in my opinion, is not a place for idle chit chat. You will either get a valid medical card or be denied a medical card.

There are other forums for truck drivers with many truck drivers participating. Google for them. Just be advised truck drivers, or the ones that volunteer opinion, seem to have a negative view on many things. Don’t let their negative comments make you a negative person. There are probably drivers with a very similar situation as you described. Pay attention to the drivers that recognize your situation and have specific advice. The other 90% that just have an opinion but not basis, ignore them.

i would get a CDL physical done on your own ‘dime’ to see what the protocol is, so you answer the questions you have prior to jumping into the job. if you cant pass, you will know, and the doctor will know, but nobody else, and you can move onto something else with your life. if you do pass, you can make plans from there. i know of truckers out here who are on anti-depressants, so there must be an option for that.
    thanks for being here and good luck

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.