Calling Scott Hanson – Does it matter where I live?

Home Forum Ask The Experts Calling Scott Hanson – Does it matter where I live?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  scott_hanson 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Hi everyone. I am currently living in northern California and looking to get into the business. I need to utilize the CDL A free schooling in exchange for working a certain term for a carrier.

However, I am seeking to relocate where I actually live to Portland, OR.

Here’s something I can’t find on Let’s say I choose to work for Swift. Their schooling is located in Salt Lake City. And I want to be based out of Portland, OR. Does it matter where I live during the time I am under contract to the company or even after?

Thanks for your help.

MIB Trucker

Most trucking companies don’t care what state your CDL is issued by as long as it’s current and not suspended. Your CDL must be based in the state where you have legal residence to make the state happy. Living in CA, going to school in UT, and then moving to OR could have you paying transfer fees and taking/re-taking written/computer tests 3 times. I think my state costs about $50 to transfer a CDL and I have to take written/computer tests for each endorsement (Tanker, HazMat, Double-Triples, Combination, Air brakes). ALL of the test question and answers are online, so passing the test isn’t a problem.

Can you tell me what companies besides Swift you’ve investigated? About 90% of newbies will spend about 30 minutes googling trucking companies and then “decide” to apply at Swift, Prime, Werner, or CR England. In my opinion they “pick” those companies because those companies hire about 1,000 driver per year. And they hire 1,000 drivers a year because 1,000 drivers per year quit them. My rule is “never work for a trucking company until you have communicated with current working drivers at that company.” It’s easy and dangerous to watch some YT videos and hear what they want you to hear and work for a company you will not like. Doing that increases your chances of not being able to stay for 1 year. Those big companies all but guarantee you won’t get home but maybe every month or 6 weeks.

Email the company and ask them about living in 1 state, going to school in another state, and moving to another state. It’s more a company policy issue than legal issue, as long as you have the money and patience to deal with 3 different Dept of Motor Vehicles. Don’t rely on anything the trucking company recruiter tells you in a phone call. Ask them to email you verifying what they are saying if some detail is important to you. I would then verify that answer with a company driver to see if the recruiter is lying. Recruiters lie often.

I recommend you search the message boards at They have company-specific boards for the big companies and almost any question you can think of has been asked and answered there many times before. It’s really best for you to search for the answer before you ask a question that’s been asked 80 times in the last year.

as long as the company allows you to take the truck home on your breaks, no it does not matter where you live
    just ask good questions when you call, and keep good notes
    good luck on your journey and keep moving forward

Thanks for your help guys.

I was wondering one more thing. Say as a company driver, I am assigned a truck. When I go home, do I retain the same truck or do you have to unload my computer, bar fridge and all that every time I go home?

Also, let us assume I’ve got nowhere to park the rig or the company doesn’t allow take home. Must I then relocate to where a terminal is located and then leave the rig there during home time?

RVT – love your channel; could you address these concerns in a video? Keep it up!

MIB Trucker

Most companies assign you a truck and it sits at company termimal while you are off work. The companies that let you take the truck home either require you get approval for the place you will park the truck or give you either places to park it or tell you to find a place that is secure, such as self-storage, tow truck yard, or perhaps they have a customer in the area you will be leaving the truck.

In my opinion, taking the truck home is more trouble than it’s worth. I’d rather leave itvat company yard so maintenance can be done while I’m home instead of wasting unpaid hours on the road getting service.

If you can’t park the truck near home you need to commute from home to where the truck is parked.

It’s best to ask companies their policies on this. My last company had every truck parked the terminals. You could live in Spain or The North Pole, the truck was parked at the nearest company terminal. If you wanted to spend 2 days driving, in your car, to & from home knock yourself out.

This is why many companies have specific hiring areas.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.