Reply To: Advice for New Trucker

Home Forum Ask The Experts Advice for New Trucker Reply To: Advice for New Trucker

It sounds like you are doing a good job. I’m impressed. Some companies won’t really talk to students until they are very close to finishing CDL school. Some even wait until you get your CDL. I keep recommending, contrary to Red’s formula, to research your companies first and then go about getting your license. The demand for drivers in this industry is unquenchable. The CDL schools are often very short and busy. It’s sometimes not practical to start shopping around for companies while you go to school. You will be busy learning & practicing. If you borrowed money to pay for school that loan starts coming due soon after your school ends. You may feel a lot of pressure to hurry up and pick a company because you have bills or the student loan payments will soon kick in.

If a student has things in his past like tickets or accidents or even criminal issues get those resolved or reviewed by companies you think you want to work for before you start CDL school. There is little more worthless than a new CDL and something in your past that prevents you from being hired. The student loan is still on you. Reputable CDL schools will ask questions to prevent students that are unlikely to be hired from starting school. Disreputable schools will accept anyone even if they are unhirable. I find many students have more time to research companies before they start CDL school. The difference between being a success in trucking and leaving within your first year COULD come down to working for a company that matches your needs & expectations. Almost every new drivers learns a whole lot of things that first years that they never though about before getting their license. It’s probably more common than not that drivers leave their first company at the end of the first year. They have the experience and insight to know that they need more money, drive different areas, more/less hometime, etc. Try to pick a good match company first, your second company should be a long-term expectation of employment. Every time you hear anyone say “all trucking companies are alike” I promise you they are not. There is a world of difference between some of them.