Reply To: CDL Tuition Reimbursement

Home Forum Ask The Experts CDL Tuition Reimbursement Reply To: CDL Tuition Reimbursement

Good point Tommy. Before the internet & YouTube it was very hard to even get a “peek” inside the trucking industry. My dad got into trucking when I was 10-12, IIRC. I could ride with him sometimes during Summers. Other than that all you could do was find a trucking magazine like Road King or Overdrive, maybe listen in on CB radio, or talk to drivers at a truckstop, which outsiders may find intimidating. You REALLY don’t know what the job is like until you start doing the job. Now with YouTube and drivers like Red you can see almost all the technical details of trucking.

It’s still hard to get a feel for how independent and jack-of-all-trades a driver works, not to mention the experience of so many hours on the road or just how bad most car drivers are 24/7. Each customer has their own way of doing things, and SOME grumpy customers just don’t understand why you don’t already know exactly what they want you to do, even though you have been on their property for 30 seconds and no other customer works like them. The best thing about some of the worst customers is you may never see them again. On days the only peple will a better office view are astronauts or airline pilots. I’ll never forget my taking a truck across the Hoover Dam, coming out of the hills and see Las Vegas light up like a post card, or driving through the Mojave Desert at 2 am with the temperature still 103 F.