The ups and downs in the Beginning

Home Forum Ask The Experts The ups and downs in the Beginning

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  mydartswinger 5 days, 11 hours ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

gamingxmonster
    Participant

Hello, my name is Michael and I have some fears and questions that i need to go over with you. For the past three weeks I’ve been doing nothing but studying for my CDP and also looking on YouTube for information about trucking. And what I’ve come to find is that this is a very very tough thing to get in to because of psyching yourself out. But with that being said it also has a lot to do with what you have to do as well. When you watch videos on YouTube one minute you watch a guy and everything looks like it would be simple and straightforward and youl be able to get everything done that you need to get done to get your CDL but on the other hand when you look at other YouTube channels you see people that make it look so difficult and are horrible trainers and say it’s such a horrible job and you can’t do this and you can’t do that and they really down your perception on everything. And then you get into that mindset of all man I don’t know if I can do this I don’t know if i’m going to be able to do this, this is going to be extremely hard, am I going to pass, am I going to fail, i have to learn how to do pretrip I have to learn how to get gas I have to learn how to back there is so much to learn in such little time that it is frightening. My main question is how do you get past all that how do you look at it as you can do this and how do you psych yourself up to continue doing this. My biggest fear in total honesty is that I will never be able learn how to back up a giant 50 foot trailer. And also with that being said I will never be able to pass my driving part of the test. This job takes a lot of motivation and it takes a lot of psyching yourself up and if you don’t have that I will never quit attitude you won’t make it. I know the biggest thing that you try to tell people is to make sure you’re watching the right YouTube Channel and listen to the right people but For me looking at it from a youtube standpoint what I have learned over the past three weeks is one day I want to do it the next day I don’t one day I want to do it the next day I don’t and rinse and repeat. and knowing that this thing if you can get past all that doubt there is so much there. This is actually the one thing in life I truly want to do I will live on the road I want to stay on the road I want to do nothing but drive across the country sounds like so much fun and in my position in life where I’m at I really don’t have a lot to look forward to. And that’s why I’m in the position I am trying to change my life so I do have somthing to look Forward to. So I apologize for rambling so long but my main question is how do you get past the fear how do you break the fear of failing

natedizel
    Participant

Hey bro, all I got to say is you gotta slow down your thinking. I myself am starting cdl school in September so I can relate some. I have a good job that pays my bills and puts a roof over my family’s head but I want more in life. I want more money and it’s my dream to own a truck someday and be my own boss. With that being said my fear is if I go over the road a company won’t give me miles. But I didn’t even start cdl school yet so I will worry about that when it’s time. The best thing that works for me is to take your goal and break it down. Worry about what’s in front of you first and prepare for that. You look at the big picture to long and your gonna sike yourself out I feel.

admin
    Keymaster

brother,
    you are piling on yourself with your thinking and adding unneeded stress for situations that probably will never happen
    its pretty common for someone to do that to themselves, but you need to break everything down into STEPS
    i have many videos in the first few months of my channel that discuss just that, and i will make another one soon
    MILLIONS of people have come before you and succeeded, and you can too, if you slow your thoughts down and take one thing at a time
    i know its a broad answers, but you need to create a checklist of steps, and handle them one at a time
    RVT

mydartswinger
    Participant

Gaming,
    I hope this post finds you still interested in trucking as a career.

You’re right, there’s a lot to learn when first getting into it. Follow RVT’s advice and take it one step at a time. If trucking is something you really want to do, you will persevere and accomplish it.

You will have days that you’re on top of the world, you’ll have days that you’re nervous and uncertain about it, and you’ll have days you just outright want to quit. All this just during CDL school.

I’m about to start my 2nd week of over the road training and I have times where I think about what’s going to happen in 2 weeks or so when I don’t have the safety net of a trainer. I keep going because 1: I’ve always wanted to drive a truck 2: I NEED a career ASAP 3: Many things that I was nervous about during CDL school, I can do comfortably now (some I cannot) and 4: comfort (not complacency, which can pop up) comes with time and experience.

Keep in your mind why you want to do it, set a goal for yourself in trucking (like Nate wants to buy his own truck) and keep that in mind.

Don’t worry so much about the pre-trip, the fueling, and other details as these will come in time. A good school will structure their training to where it’s fast paced and challenging, but doable with a positive attitude.

Dart

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.