Looking for all info to obtain my CDL

Home Forum Ask The Experts Looking for all info to obtain my CDL

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  scott_hanson 6 days, 20 hours ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

BIGLEFTYINTX
    Participant

Hi all,

I live in San Antonio, TX and I’m interested in getting my CDL to drive trucks professionally. What I don’t want to to be an otr driver. I don’t want to be away from my kids that long . I’m interested in driving local or from hub to hub, El Paso to San Antonio or dallas to San Antonio or San Antonio to the southern cities . So, cause of this I can’t go to a school that is paid by a trucking company since they require otr to earn back their money.

If I obtain my permit , med card and take the endorsement test , how do I get the training needed to drive 18 wheelers ? Are there any companies that will hire with a permit and then train ?

Thank you all

scott_hanson

Yes, CDL companies that have you home daily are food service, dump trucks, contruction, beer & soft drinks, waste removal, even SOME fuel tankers. The food service & beer / soft drinks are physical labor with some driving. You are lifting & moving boxes at each stop.

Some food service & beer even hire driver helpers with just a CDL Permit. Then after working & training you earn your CDL. Google these type jobs or look for them on Craigslist.

SH

scott_hanson

Yes, CDL companies that have you home daily are food service, dump trucks, contruction, beer & soft drinks, waste removal, even SOME fuel tankers. The food service & beer / soft drinks are physical labor with some driving. You are lifting & moving boxes at each stop.

Some food service & beer even hire driver helpers with just a CDL Permit. Then after working & training you earn your CDL. Google these type jobs or look for them on Craigslist.

The drivingbfrom hub to hub ( terminal to terminal) is called Linehaul. That’s the peak of driving for company drivers. Most companies that have those jobs require EVERY new-hire to work on the dock before driving the truck even if you have 10 years CDL experience. Very few hire rookies for that position.

SH

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.