Driving Experience

Home Forum Ask The Experts Driving Experience

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  scott_hanson 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Awil0ii
    Participant

Hello everyone, I just wanted to know if there are any other ways to get driving experience besides going otr?

scott_hanson

There are many ways to get driving experience other than OTR. Food service, delivering perishable & dry items to restaurants & stores seems to always be hiring, even “newbies” and even students without a CDL. This requires moving lots of boxes with a “hand truck”.

Beer & soft dtinks are another possibility but that is a lot of hard work & I don’t think its pays very much, but you will get in shape or quit.

Dump trucks, construction, waste management, cement/ready-mix, and roll-on/roll-off also hire drivers. The big advantage with this segment of trucking is you can sleep at home.

The “catch” is this type of experience may not be accepted by OTR trucking companies. Those companies usually ignore you OTR expetience if it wasn’t within the last 3 years. I recently went back to OTR aftet almost 20 years doing regional dedicated. 1 company I checked with wanted me to ride with a trainer for a month since my OTR expetience was not recent. I found a company that accepted my OTR from years ago. Many drivers never go OTR, some even make better pay than OTR, but that usually happens if you have connections or get lucky.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.