CDL Student needs more practice time

Home Forum Ask The Experts CDL Student needs more practice time

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Codi 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Codi
    Participant

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and how they resolved it:
    I am just finishing up my first week of CDL school — it is a private school in CA and I started the school already with my permit and endorsements, so what I need to learn is the driving skills. So far, after 4 days, I have only gotten about 4 hours of practice behind the wheel. Each day of practice/learning averages 3-4 hours only. My question is how to improve my driving skills? I have no problem with learning the pre-trip inspection part of it. I am working on straight and off set backing, and am struggling with getting it. Any suggestions on how to improve faster or better? I know I need practice, but are there any other resources that people have used?

mydartswinger
    Participant

I just finished my 2nd week of school (4 week company program), and that’s how I felt during the 1st week. For the 1st week, they’re mostly going to be building foundations like shifting (if you’re learning on a truck with a manual transmission), backing, and turning. Once those start coming together, you’ll start doing more and focusing on more. Even with only a few hours behind the wheel (I’m only getting a couple of hours on the range and about an hour, maybe 2, on the road per day, and that’s with only 1 other student in my class), things will start to come together pretty quickly.

Listen to your instructor, ask questions, and observe the mistakes your classmates are making to try to learn from them. Be proactive in your learning. If you feel you’re not getting something or feel that you’re not learning quickly enough, talk to your instructor about it. There’s been several times where I thought that I was doing poorly, but I discussed my concern with my instructor and I’m actually on pace to complete the program successfully. Communication is key to success.

For backing, the first thing is to set your mirrors properly. For steering while backing, what helps me is to think “steer towards the problem”. What that means is that if you’re too close on the driver’s side (left side), turn the wheel to the left. Another way to think of it is to steer the opposite way that you need the rear of the trailer to go (if the rear of the trailer needs to go left, turn the wheel to the right). During straight line backing, small wheel movements are best (typically no more than 1/4 – 1/2 turn) so the trailer doesn’t kick out too far causing bigger issues. When you’re doing offset backing, the convex (small, rounded mirrors at the bottom of your main mirrors) are going to be your best friends. They can see farther down the trailer than the flat mirrors. You may barely be able to see the cones, but over time you’ll get used to finding them and placing your ICC bumper (trailer bumper) where it needs to be.

Hope this helps, and best of luck to you.

scott_hanson

Few, if any, CDL students feel they have had enough training by the time school ends. The point of school is to pass the CDL test and get your license. The place where you learn and practice the skills will be with the trainer at your first company.

After you learn & practice backing, navigation, customer procedures, weighing & sliding tandems, etc. Then toward end of your training period when you are doing everything while your trainer is asleep is when you first feel like you have enough training.

Codi
    Participant

Thanks to all for your input and encouragement. Hoping that week 2 will be less frustrating. I’ll keep you posted and thanks again.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.