Automatic Transmissions

Home Forum Ask The Experts Automatic Transmissions

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  admin 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 9 total)
  • Author

dmc3020
    Participant

Hello,

Current CDL student here. I am scheduled for orientation with Schneider after I receive my CDL later this month. I am geared up to go, however, I just found out that all new trucks released by Schneider have automatic transmissions. I spoke with a Schneider recruiter today, and she informed me that currently half the fleet have automatic transmissions, and half the fleet have manual. I asked if the driver gets to choose which type to drive, and the recruiter stated it is based only on availibilty when assigning a new driver a truck and driver personal preference is not factored in.

I want to drive manual. I learned to drive manual at school. It is a skill set that I payed to learn and would like to maintain. What if in the future I miss out on an oppurtinuty with another company because my work experience with Schneider lacks manual transmission skills?

Am I over thinking or should this factor into my company choice upon graduating school? I have pre-hire letters with other companies. Thoughts?

Thank you so much,

Dylan

P.S. I have nothing against driving automatic transmissions. I know most companies are transitioning to automatic for fuel economy and other reasons. Just want to make sure I am not making a mistake by driving for an automatic company.

scott_hanson

I wouldn’t worry about auto vs manual AFTER you get your license. It looks like autos are taking over, whether we like it or not. As time goes on fewer companies and other drivers will give you grief if you aren’t instantly smooth on manual. The purpose of most “road tests” when starting with a company is to see if you drive safely & can back up. I’ve never heard of anyone failing a road test for grinding gears.

I have about 20 years driving 9 & 10 speeds and 2 years in auto. The autos are really so nice in traffic not having precise control on gear selection in mountains or snow is OK. There are strategies for doing everything safely with an auto. Truck selection at a new company is generally the new drivers gets whatever is parked in the yard on the day you need a truck. Sometimes that means a brand new truck and sometimes it means the junk that just came out of the shop for the 8th time this month. IMO

dmc3020
    Participant

Scott,

Thank you for your response, I very much appreciate it. Your insight gives me peace of mind. I plan to continue with Schneider but do still hope to be assigned a manual truck. I would like atleast one year of manual experience under my belt to start my career with. However, I am grateful for either. My CDL Road Test is on July 19th. Say a prayer for the little man.

Thanks again,

Dylan

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  dmc3020.

scott_hanson

I will. Don’t put too much pressure on yourself. Plenty of working drivers took 2 or 3 tries. It’s just an inconvenience if you don’t make it on the first try.

dmc3020
    Participant

Thanks Scott. I will be sure to let you all know how I do on the test.

Peace,

Dylan

dmc3020
    Participant

CDL test has been rescheduled for Saturday July 22nd. Will follow up next week for anyone interested in knowing how I did.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.