CDL Truck Driving School Tips For Beginner Commercial Truck Driving

Commercial Truck Driving (CDL) tips for beginning truckers choosing their 18 wheel trucker school.

One of 4 ways to get your CDL are
1) Community Colleges offer the lowest tuition, but normally take anywhere from 6-12 weeks, or more, to fully complete.
2) Company sponsored training, where the company you contractually agree to work for during your first year pays your CDL school tuition, room and maybe some stipend money for weekly food.
3) State or federal government help, via the local unemployment office, which can sometimes either pay part or all of your CDL school tuition.
4) Retail (you pay your full tuition yourself, obligating yourself to nobody, contractually).

I took route 4, but I have reserves and other income and any of these routes are solely your discretion, based on need and capability.

CDL training and the end result of truck driving is highly misrepresented and misunderstood by the average person, I believe, and their is a strong income to be made, especially as an owner operator or lease operator, but like anything else, your own situation and desire for risk are your choice.

For your walkaround inspection training look at this video and OWN it
CDL Pretrip Inspection Video

It’s been an eye-opening first 3 months, and its everything I thought it would be, and more.

The Commercial Truck Driving reality so far has been everything I expected, and everything I wanted.

I do see that regardless of where you start with whatever company, the first 6-12 months are simply you getting your experience and miles, so I have a ‘3 year plan’ regarding this industry, and I wont let anything get in my head about this business until I get the first year under my belt.

It’s the closest thing to being self employed I have found, and its all better as the experience and miles are gained.

If you enjoy the videos, Subscribe and Share!!

5 thoughts on “CDL Truck Driving School Tips For Beginner Commercial Truck Driving

  1. My name is David
    I have my TWIC card
    I am 33 yrs old
    I have been studying for my class a license I want to go to school to get my Class A license 4 weeks of school three weeks of trainer after that do you get your own truck to yourself to drive is my question

  2. I didn’t know that there were so many options to pay for CDL school. It seems to me that it would be good to be completely sure that you want to drive trucks before making that investment. The help schooling would likely be really helpful though, it looks really hard to back those long trailers.

  3. Thanks for pointing out that there are many ways to get your CDL, such as at a community college. You also mention that some companies sponsor their own training if you agree to work for them for a year. I think it’s important to choose a CDL training course that goes above and beyond the state minimum requirements so that you are prepared to face any situation on the road.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *